School closure due to adverse weather conditions
In the event of serious weather conditions (snow, ice, flood) it may be necessary to close the school for the safety of students and staff. If this becomes necessary the following procedures will be implemented.
Bad weather overnight or early morning
- Where we have a valid email address, we will send an email advising of school closure. Please contact us if you would like to provide your email address.
- The local authority website https://slp.somerset.gov.uk and the school website www.kingsmead-school.com will show if the school is closed. We would hope to ensure this information is available by 7.30 am.
- We will be advised by the bus companies and local authority if it is too dangerous for transport to run. We have had occasions when we judge the school can open but transport operators cancel. In such circumstances you may bring your child to school but you must be aware that transport will not be available at the end of the day and you will need to collect your child.
- If transport is not running but school is open we will put this information on our website at the earliest opportunity.
- On days when the school is ‘partially’ open it is unlikely we will be able to run a normal timetable for that day.
- If the decision is taken to close the school we will notify the local radio stations:
- BBC – Somerset Sound. 95.5 FM, 1566 MHz
- Heart FM. 102.6 FM, 97.1 FM (Yeovil Area), 96.5 FM (Taunton Area)
- Breeze FM. 100.8 FM, 102.4 FM, or 107.4 FM
- Tone FM 107.8 FM (Taunton & surrounding areas)
- The school answerphone will be updated by 7.30 am with the above information but we ask parents to listen to the local radio or look on our website in the first instance.
Bad weather during the day
- If weather conditions deteriorate during the day, school may close early and all students will be sent home. If this is the case:-
- Radio stations will be notified
- Transport will be rearranged
- Information will be put on our website. Parents will be notified by text or email wherever possible
- Any student who is brought to school other than by school transport will have the opportunity to phone and make arrangements to be collected early.
- Parents are asked to ensure students have a key for home or that arrangements have been made for someone to look after them in the event students are sent home early.
- We cannot telephone parents individually.